UPDATE:The city is now into the storm by $13,000,000 for clean up
Well it was an eventful day in provo on 8-1-06. A storm called a super cell came in with vengeance! Here are but a few photos to share. The airport got hit hard. They lost two helicopters, may airplanes, and lots of structure damage. There was even a WWII P51 Mustang that got damaged ($2,000,000 plane).The south west part of Provo looked like
a war zone. Trees, power poles, and power
lines down everywhere!

I was one of the lucky ones, I was on a detail where I was in a home, and escaped the rath. Looking from the inside out was cool though. It came in all at once, just a wall of water and wind. They say the rain came down so fast it accumulated an inch in 15 minutes.

Thankfully there weren't any injuries with the storm, but it left lots of people without power for several days. They had to call in Spanish Fork, Payson, Lehi, Murray, and bountiful Power companies just to help them clean up the mess. One number I heard, who knows how accurate it is, but 168 poles that were affected, and provo had 40 poles in reserve.

trying to get around the city was a joke just after the storm, from poles to great big trees that blocked the streets made it impossible to get anywhere.
the third picture down is where I sat for hours blocking the road. You know how at Christmas time two or three homes would be out done in lights, and everyone in the county has got to load up the kids and go real slow past the houses, and take pictures? This was just that, but worse! Drive by 3, 4, 5 times, and everyone had a camera or a camera phone. Ridiculous! And everyone had atleast two dumb questions for the cop that knows all.




Anyway, as of today, they are still cleaning up all the trees. Some downed trees still have not been touched yet. But they are getting there.
3 comments:
Oh my gosh, that is totally nuts! The wind must have been REALLY strong to snap that big tree in half....glad everyone is well.
Mercy!
I need to drive down there and take a look around. I figure it's long enough now, it should be a good time to do it...
I ended up losing several shingles on the roof, I guess I need to do something about it.
Post a Comment